Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson


This past Saturday, I attended my local high school’s graduation. The Class of 2012 received their awards and diplomas and tossed their hats in the air in a symbolic opening of the door to the next phase of their life. Happiness, fear, excitement, sadness -  all the emotions mixed together as the graduates bid their classmates and friends good-bye and set out on their own course. Some of them knew what they wanted to do, some of them hadn’t a clue, and some of them were somewhere in the middle. Those people who didn’t know what they heck they were doing… That was me ten years ago.

People might think that I graduated high school with the intent to one day open a dance studio. Nah… Don’t get me wrong. I knew I wanted to clog, but I never considered it for a career of any sort. The funny thing is… my class joked about it being my career. On the last day of my high school career at my class’ Class Day celebration, a committee of my fellow students put together prophecies for each student. What was mine? To move to Pigeon Forge and become a professional clogger. Hmmm… Well, I’m not in Pigeon Forge, but it seems like the other end of that kinda happened. Who’da thunk it?

The guest speaker at this year’s Class of 2012 graduation spoke about being prepared for your future but never really knowing what’s going to happen. I guess Forest Gump was right: “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.” That’s been my experience anyway, but I guess that’s the fun thing about life.

That guest speaker was talking about things that I recently remembered learning about life. He spoke of not being afraid to go after your dreams, but having the understanding things might not always turn out exactly like we planned. It wasn’t a “Hey, you can go after your dreams, but don’t expect them to come true,” speech. It was a realistic speech. A “Here’s what you want to do, and here’s what you going to do. But over here are the millions of different outcomes you could get,” speech.

My class jokingly said I would go to Pigeon Forge and become a clogger. Who knows? Maybe they really thought that. As crazy as I was about clogging in high school, that was probably a realistic guesstimate at the time. And maybe in some corner of my mind, I thought that, too. One thing I did “know” was that I wanted out of the wee-teeny little town I called home. FAR away!

The view from my new studio! (And this photo still doesn't do it justice!)
Turns out – I didn’t get as far away as I thought, and I’m fine with that. In fact, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I couldn’t stand to live in a bustling city. I need my wide open spaces. And looky here! I own a dance studio! A small dance studio, but I have great students that light up my face whenever I have them in class. Furthermore, I’m moving into a new studio, and I can pretty much guarantee that no other studio in the world has the fantastic view like my new place! The perfect place for a creative hub – right in the middle of the beautiful rolling hills and countryside of Highland County – a place that inspires me so much today and much more than any sky scrapper, traffic light, or 5 p.m. rush hour traffic would.

In addition to traveling and competing, performing alongside some cool kids and adults, getting a contract with an entertainment agency, and performing at local resorts with my dance partner, I also am free to explore other adventures as well – volunteerism, traveling, writing, farming, and making some amazing memories with some amazing friends in a place that has beauty like no other. No, I’m not in Pigeon Forge or New York City or California or wherever I might find a gig to dance. Why? Because I’ve got the perfect gig right here. And while I get out whenever I want to perform and compete on bigger stages, I’ll gladly stay tucked away in my mountain home with my small, simple dance studio. That’s the life for me – my dream come true.

Sometimes there is no path for what we want to do. Sometimes there is no conventional way to follow our dreams – to live in an area that may or may not support a business that we choose to enter into. But you know what? As Martina McBride says “Do it anyway. Dream it anyway.” When I opened my dance studio, I thought “This is my dream. This is what I HAVE to accomplish.” That also made me think that I had to take my dance career to heights that would dazzle my friends, family, and fellow dancers. I felt was my obligation as a dancer and a dreamer to show those non-believers that dreams really could come true if you worked hard enough. And part of me thought “This is what I will do for the rest of my life.” Now, while I love dance, and I love my students… doing one thing for the rest of my life?? I don’t think so. Give me variety. Give me adventure. Give me more wide open spaces. And as far as dreaming big and accomplishing goals to prove a point, well, it’s all well and good to show those people who say “That’s impossible! You can’t do that!” But when you get to the point where you’re not just content but happy, then that is where you belong. It doesn’t matter if your happiness comes with fame and fortune or if it leads you to a big metropolitan city where everyone THINKS you should be. If you're happy right where you are, then that's where you need to be. Or if you know that you're happiness awaits in that big metropolitan city, then pack your bags and put on your traveling shoes.

I live in a beautiful location where many of my friends think it is impossible to live. I had many people tell me to “Get out of the county quick and make a life for yourself! You’re never going to find wealth and happiness here!” Well, I got news for ‘em. 1) Most people who dream of being a dancer, never count on being rich. And 2) While it may not be monetary, I HAVE found wealth. And you can bet your beanie I’m happy! And I’m living in the town most told me to leave and doing something most told me I couldn’t do. Plus, I get to have a garden, participate in a local theatre group, take part in fun community happens, and (most importantly) hang out chit-chatting with fun friends (sometimes all hours of the night) in an area where we don’t have to worry that much about robberies or violence.

So the moral of the story, kiddos, is exactly what that guest speaker said at graduation on Saturday. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” We each have our own unique trail to blaze. We all have different needs and different wants and desires. Do not follow the same path your neighbor takes because that path was made for your neighbor. If you try to walk someone else's path, it will probably lead you to a place you don’t want to be or a place you don’t belong. And why on earth should we walk through our one and only life on a path that was not intended for us? We’ve only got one life, so find your path and don’t walk… skip, run, dance, or stop and smell the roses if you want to. Find your path and don’t worry how close it parallels to what some would consider “realistic” or “successful.” If you want to be an actor in Hollywood, go for it! If you find yourself happy as a cashier at a store, then enjoy life and walk out of your career everyday with your head held high knowing you’re doing what you want to be happy. I’ve come to find that success is not a huge house or a big fancy car. Success is happiness, and most of the time I, and most of the people around me, are pretty successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment