Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Dance: Depression Intervention (No Rhythm Required)

I’m sitting in my office fresh out of the new year season watching the snow fall. I can feel the mid-winter funk coming on. The cheery Christmas warmth is gone from my house. The tree is still lit, but my husband is at work, so there is no one here at the moment to share it with. Christmas presents have been given. Candy has been eaten. (Actually it is still being eaten.) The new year has come and gone. No more Christmas music will be heard on Q99, and no more Christmas movies will be on T.V.

Apparently a close friend was feeling the funkiness, too. “I’m in a funk. Make me laugh,” says a little instant message box that pops up on my screen. I message back: “I’m in a funk, too.” This friend is also one of my dancers and always says dancing makes her feel better when she’s unhappy. “Go to dance class!” she suggests.

“Emergency dance break!” I agree. So I sent her my proposal: “Okay. Stand up in the middle of your office and bust a move.”

“I will if you will,” pops up in the instant message box.

“Ok… GO!!!” I send.

I stand up. A smile starts to edge across my face. I bust out into a dorky dance similar to that of Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I goof around for a little bit, stop in the middle of the room, giggle, and replace myself at my desk. (It’s no wonder my sister affectionately calls me “the goof.”) I type: “Are you dancing?”

“That cracked me up!” my friend responded. “Do you know how stupid it feels to do the salsa without music all by yourself?”

“Ah well,” I reply. “At least it made you laugh.”

“Yes,” she agreed. “Laughter like crying releases stress... but laughter is more fun.”

The best thing about dance is everyone knows how to dance whether they’ve taken a class or not. I believe movement, no matter how beautiful or ridiculous it may be, makes people feel better. Of course it does! It gets your blood pumping! (Add several funny women together in a room like my Wednesday night adult Clogging class or my competition team Rhythmic Alliance that you see to the left, and you’ve got yourself a good little dose of laugh therapy!)

Many studies suggest that engaging in physical activity, such as dancing, not only promotes better physical well-being but encourages a more positive attitude and reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety. Individuals diagnosed with major depression have shown significant improvements after aerobic-exercise intervention – improvements similar to that of psychotropic treatments, or treatments affecting the central nervous system. In addition, physically-active patients had significantly lower relapse rates than those on medication. And did you know that consistent physical activity may even prevent depression?

So the next time you’re having a bad day. Get up, and bust a move. Right there in your office. Just bust that move all over the place. Who cares if you “know” how to dance or not? Who cares if people are watching? (You might actually put a smile on someone’s face!)

And if you’re looking for something to rid yourself of the winter, after-holiday, it’s-still-three-months-until-spring blues, consider enrolling in a dance class. My Wednesday night ladies will tell you nothing makes them feel better than dancing and laughing with a few good friends. And it’s a great way to work off the Christmas cookies and candy, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment